Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The success of this recipe will depend on the quality of your chicken broth and brand of diced tomatoes so try to purchase the best quality. Adjust the spices to taste.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (can use two peppers)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup canned green chili, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or use 1 small package chicken bouillon)
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- red enchilada sauce
- In a medium saucepan heat oil with butter over medium heat; add in rice and cook stirring until the rice is lightly browned (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add in the onion, garlic, green bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, chili powder and cumin; cook stirring with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes or until softened).
- Remove saucepan from heat and slowly add in the chicken broth, return to heat and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add chilies, diced tomatoes with juice and bouillon cube; bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to low.
- Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne.
- Add in cilantro (if using).
- Cook for about 20-22 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Drizzle red enchilada sauce over the rice.
Very tasty recipe! I didn't have enchilada sauce on hand so I used a small tin of Spanish tomato sauce. That worked very well. My husband walked in the door while I was cooking and said "Mmmm something smells great!" I served this with enchiladas for a wonderful Mexican meal.
Thanks for posting.
WOW! Is this ever good! I got my ingredients ready, then jumped right into it! Easy to read, easy to make and so so good! The flavors mixed together so good. Next time (shortly) I'm going to double the recipe, as this recipe freezes so well. Thanks, Kitten for yet another great recipe!!