Recipe by Mrs B
This recipe comes from “Preserved” by Nick Sandler and Johnny Acton. I haven’t made it, but it sounds like a good vegetarian main dish or go with anything side dish. The recipe calls for 8 potatoes, but the authors fail to specify a size or weight. As there is no instruction to cut or slice the potatoes, my guess is that you’ll need 8 medium potatoes or between 1 and 1 1/2 lbs, depending on how and what you plan to serve this with. Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
Beautiful potato dish! I was surprised at how easy this dish was to put together...great instructions! I cubed the potatoes and then boiled them as Pot Scrubber did. The onions were such a great complement to this dish as was the garnish - I would not forgo the garnish. The sauce was excellent. The only thing i did differently was to add serrano peppers to the cheese sauce.
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3 dried hot red chilies, deseeded and crumbed
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- 8 potatoes, peeled
- 1 fresh chili pepper, cut into thin strips (green or red)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, halved, to garnish
- 12 black olives, to garnish
- 175 g mozzarella cheese, roughly grated
- 225 ml heavy cream
- 4.92 ml turmeric
- 1 fresh chili pepper, finely chopped (green or red)
- 44.37 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the lemon juice and dried chillies in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, add the onion rings and leave to marinate until required (you could do this step more in advance if you like).
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water for about 15 minutes, or until cooked.
- While the potatoes are cooking make the sauce by combining all the ingredients except the olive oil in a blender; then heat the oil in a pan, add the blended sauce ingredients and simmer for about 5 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE DISH: drain the potatoes and place in a warmed serving dish, pour the sauce on top; drain the onion rings and scatter them and the chili strips over the top of the dish; garnish with hard-boiled eggs and olives.