Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This has a taste similar to the packaged brands of Hispanic hot chocolate drink. Verrrry Yummmmie!
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 cups milk
- lightly sweetened whipped cream
- cinnamon stick, for stirring and garnish (optional)
- Combine chocolate, sugar, coffee, cinnamon, salt and water in medium saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring constantly for 4 minutes.
- Stir in milk, heat through but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and whip chocolate mixture with a wire whisk until foamy.
- Pour into mugs, top with whipped cream and place cinnamon stick in cups for garnish, if desired.
What a treat! I added a dash of cayenne.
This is a great warm chocolate treat. I made this with milk chocolate and left out the sugar. I like the addition of salt in this recipe. It really gives the chocolate a little more definition in taste. Made and Reviewed as the recipe of the day in the Comfort Cafe - Thanks! :)
Made for Comfort Cafe 2009 recipe of the Day. We thought this tasted quite good. The hints of cinnamon in the choco/coffee drink made this different from the others but enjoyable none the less. I thought it was a bit sweet for me but the others thought it was perfect. For myself I will reduce the sugar by a T next time so I can drink all 3 cups. :-) Thank you.