I made this to go with my vegetarian chili tonight and really enjoyed it! This cornbread has a soft, almost custard like texture. Yum! Adapted from The Everyday Fiesta Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup creamed corn
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (or margarine or vegetable oil)
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Heat the oil in a 9-10 inch cast iron skillet or baking pan in oven.
- In a large bowl, sift cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Add remaining ingredients to the bowl; stir mixture together.
- Remove the hot pan from the oven; pour in batter.
- Bake 25 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting.