Recipe by Mrs.Habu
Quick and healthy soup. From the Jan Feb 2004 issue of Cooking Light.
Top Review by Annacia
This is excellent. Quick, easy and, in my opinion, hearty. It's a cold (-8) day and this really hit the spot for lunch. I used a 19oz can of black beans and did not drain it. I never do as there is way too much flavor and nutrition in the liquid to it wash away. I skipped the oil and the cooking of the spices and just added them into the soup with all of the ingredients at the same time. That includes 1/2 of a fresh onion I had in the fridge in place of the frozen onion ask for and 1/2 tsp of minced fresh garlic from a jar. Lovely flavor that I enjoyed a lot. I think I'll be making this a lot over the winter. Thanks for this one Tali.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup frozen chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon instant minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth or 1 (14 ounce) can low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained