Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is the way my mom makes mexican coleslaw. I don't know exactly where the recipe came from, but it has been in my family since I can remember. When ever I make it, I don't measure the ingredients; I eyeball it. Measurement are approximations. Please note the jalapeno is optional. Also, my mom sometimes makes this with apple cider vinegar or balsamic and come out great also.
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshredded green cabbage
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeno, finely diced and seeded
- 1 medium avocado, peeled and halved pit removed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, cilantro, tomato and jalapeno. Mix well. In a separate bowl, smash avocado; when it is completely mashed, add oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper. Mix well to combine. Add the dressing to the vegetable mix well. Taste it and adjust seasoning and oil & vinegar if more is needed.