Recipe by Katzen
A nutritious and spicy chickpea salad from the Moosewood Daily Special.
Top Review by UmmBinat
First sorry I changed the lime for lemon as I thought like always I had some on hand yet I forgot last shopping they were an outrageous price so I didn't purchase any. I changed the jalapeno for cayenne powder to taste adding it to the garlic. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, canned chickpeas, grape tomatoes I ripened up in their box on top of the refrigerator during the winter, I changed the red onion for sweet white onion as that is what we prefer, used sea salt, plus the rest. We ate it immediately and enjoyed it even though we don't usually go for spicy! Made for Veggie Swap 31 ~ February 2011.
- 1 -2 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chickpeas (16 oz can, drained)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small skilled or saucepan on low heat, sauté the chilies in the olive oil for about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, stirring constantly, until the chilies are soft and the garlic is just golden. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper in a serving bowl. Add chilies and garlic with their sautéing oil and toss well. Serve immediately or chill to allow flavours to develop.