Spanish Chickpea Salad
photo by Stacee R.
- Ready In:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas (if using dried chickpeas soak overnight and then boil the next day in a pressure cooker for 10 mins or boil for 1 hour 10 mins in a pan).
- Prepare the tomato by blanching it and removing the skin and pips following this cut it into small cubes and place in a bowl.
- Add the red peppers to the bowl (if you can´t find the spanish pimientos del piquillo you will need to roast the red peppers for about 20 mins and then remove the kin and cut into strips).
- Add the eggs, onions and garlic.
- Cut the cured ham into small squares and add to the bowl.
- Dress with extra virgin olive oil and white wine vinegar over and season with salt and pepper
- Add the chickpeas to the salad mixture
- Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious fresh-tasting salad! My rating is based on directions. Several ingredients are missing quantities, and I would mince the garlic rather than tossing it whole. I used a 7-oz jar of roasted red peppers (yielded 6 oz. fruit), which I estimated was equivalent to 2.5 large red bell peppers in U.S. sizing, but per Barrinaga's website, their 1/4 K (8 oz) jar has 9-12 fruits, so perhaps I had enough. I used 3 hard-boiled eggs, and that seemed like the right amount. Lucky me, I had a ripe home-grown tomato! Made for Please Review My Recipe.
I will start off by saying I had grown tired of chickpeas because I ate them on green salads every day. This recipe made me love them again! :) I like the simplicity of the dressing and that I always have all of the other ingredients on hand. This is a fantastic salad, Annacia! Thank you for sharing!
This is a full meal in a bowl - and a lovely one at that. My whole family loves legumes - chickpeas in particular, so I knew I'd be making this salad as soon as I saw it for the tour. It proved to be an excellent choice. I did start with chickpeas that I'd soaked overnight and cooked myself. I used a good brand of jarred, roasted peppers available in Greece to make that step a little easier. Had this for lunch during a heatwave here in Greece and it was substantial without being heavy. A perfect summertime meal. Thanks Annacia.