Recipe by johnnybravo
This was the first dish that I ever learned how to cook. My wife loves it. I have 3 small children so when they are eating it, I leave out the Chipotle chile. I think this originally came from either Mens Health or Mens Fitness magazine. Also it doesn't hurt to sprinkle on some shredded cheddar when you are done.
Top Review by lilmommas
OMG I don't know why I haven't reviewed this yet, but this is my main recipe now for chicken tortilla soup! It is so good! My kids and husband love it too! When I tell them I am making chicken tortilla soup everyone is super excited because this is an awesome recipe! I use 2 cans of diced green chiles, and add a can of black beans to it, yummy!! We also like to put a little cheese, sour cream and avocado on top!!! Super good!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 minced chipotle chiles in adobo (7 oz. can) or 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth or 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup choppen fresh cilantro
- 4 cups baked corn tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in large stockpot over medium high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and cook for 3 minutes until chicken is browned on both sides, stirring frequently.
- Add oregano and stir to coat chicken. Stir in minced chipotle(or green chiles), tomatoes, broth, and corn. Turn the heat to high and bring to boil.
- Turn heat to low, partially cover, and simmer for 10 minute until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in cilantro and 1 cup of tortilla chips.
- To serve, place remaining chips in the bottom of individual bowls and laddle soup over top.