Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Taste of Home. A zippy chowder with Southwestern flair to warm you up on a cold winter's day!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, chopped & undrained
- 1⁄4-1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- fresh cilantro, Minced (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, brown chicken, onion and garlic in butter until chicken is no longer pink.
- Dissolve the bouillon in hot water.
- Add to pan along with cumin; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, cheese, corn, chilies and hot pepper sauce.
- Cook and stir over low heat until the cheese is melted.
- Stir in tomato.
- Serve immediately; sprinkle with cilantro if desired.
- Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
My family LOVES this chowder and I make it often in the fall and winter months. It's one of those recipes that is fairly quick and easy to assemble, but impressive enough for company.