Recipe by Julie Tremmel
We love serving mexican food in our home. This is a recipe that our children enjoy too because it's not too spicy.
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 ounces chicken rice-a-roni
- 1⁄3 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan cook onion over medium heat until tender. Stir in long grain rice and chicken rice-a-roni (including seasoning packet). Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and water. Bring mixture to a boil. Then cover and reduce heat to a low simmer for 20 minutes (not all the liquid will be absorbed).
- Pour rice mixture into a 3 quart casserole dish that has been sprayed with non-stick. mix in the chicken, stewed tomatos, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder. Gently mix until well combined.
- Sprinkle top of casserole with both cheeses. Bake uncovered 30 minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly.