Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from Virginia Willis cookbook, "Bon Appetit, Y"all". Haven't tried it yet, looks good. You can find more Virginia Willis recipes at www.virginiawillis.com.
- 1 ham bone
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 strip thyme
- 6 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1⁄4 lb okra, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- Put 6 cups water, ham bone, thyme, and bay leaves in large pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add tomatoes, puree, lima beans, onions, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook on low for 30 minutes, until beans are just tender.
- Then add remaining vegetables. Cook 30 minutes more till vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and thyme. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with biscuits or cornbread.