Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 lb red potatoes, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium red onions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon crushed lovage or 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tamari soy sauce or 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup pitted black olives, sliced in half
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Steam the potatoes until they are soft but still firm (if that makes any sense).
- You want them to be soft, but not to the point that they will fall apart when lifted.
- Set aside.
- In a small skillet, saute the garlic, onions, and herbs until the onions become translucent.
- Remove them from the heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix the potatoes and the onions.
- Add the tamari and pepper to taste.
- In a casserole, begin layering the ingredients.
- First, place the onions and potatoes on the bottom of the tray.
- Cover this with the tomatoes and olives.
- Finally, cover this with the cheese.
- Continue to layer in this order until there aren't any more ingredients.
- Bake this in an oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes with a loose tinfoil cover.
- Uncover the mixture and cook for another 20 minutes or until brown on top.
- Garnish with the parsley.
This is a wonderful recipe. I've made it several times. Sometimes I've added Feat cheese or fresh herbs with good results