I made this without the red pepper simply because I didn't have any at hand. It was still very good and in fact I'm not sure I'll include it next time, also I'll half the amount of chicken next time. The lovely broth and rice are the stars of this soup. It's rich and lemony and a real treat to this lemon lover.
- 2 (14 1/2 fluid ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper, strips
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Boil broth in medium saucepan.
- Add rice and carrot; cook until carrot is tender.
- Stir in chicken, bell pepper, lemon juice and garlic.
- Combine 1 tablespoon evaporated milk and cornstarch in small bowl; stir into soup. Gradually stir in remaining evaporated milk.
- Bring to just a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. and stir in basil before serving.
Yum! A ace, number #1 soup. This was so good, I had to keep tasting and tasting, and tasting. Until I ate a whole bowl! Man this was wonderful, and I followed this exactly, except not making it super thick. My Dh wanted x3 bowls, so there wasn't much left....I'm glad I took the time to eat earlier. Perfect soup for a perfect day. Thank you!
A delicious soup. I did not use the bell pepper simply because I did not have any, and used a combo of milk and cream, as I could not find the evaporated milk. I added more broth and would do so again, as I like my soups a bit more brothy. I would also add the garlic a little earlier, as mine was still a bit raw. A very nice and filling soup.
Really nice soup! Easy to put together and so good with the lemony flavor. I used the red bell pepper and liked the added crunch. Thanks for sharing and for being such a fabulous hostess for Comfort Cafe!!