Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 75 g bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, each cut into 3 pieces (1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce (salsa, if you prefer)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup couscous
- 1. Layer squash, bell pepper and chicken in 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Mix tomatoes, salsa, raisins, cinnamon and cumin; pour over mixture in slow cooker.
- 2. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 7 hours or until squash is tender and juice of chicken is no longer pink when centers of thickest pieces are cut. During last 10 minutes of cook time, cook couscous as directed on package.
- 3. Remove chicken and vegetables from slow cooker with slotted spoon. Serve over couscous. Stir sauce in slow cooker; spoon over chicken mixture.
- Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.
Join The Conversation