Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a really great dish. It is looked forward too every time I make it and leftovers are just as great on a toasted sandwich or reheated.
- 500 g ground sausage
- 500 g minced steak
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 onions
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 30 g butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine sausage mince, minced steak, breadcrumbs, peeled and finely-chopped onions, curry powder, salt, pepper, parsley and lightly-beaten egg in bowl.
- Beat until mixture is well combined.
- Gradually add milk and water, continue beating until mixture is very smooth.
- Shape meat mixture into loaf, place in greased baking dish.
- Bake in moderate (180 C)oven 30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in saucepan, bring slowly to boil, reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from oven, carefully pour off any surplus fat.
- Pour sauce over meatloaf, return to oven, bake for further 45 minutes, basting frequently with sauce.
- Serve hot with vegetables or cold with salad.
I have been making this recipe for around 15 years. This is a favourite in my family and my brother stole my recipe card but I had copied it thankfully. My kids won't eat any other meatloaf.
This is the exact same recipe my SIL made for us while we were on holiday with her and I came home with the recipe. Made it last night and really enjoyed it. I only poured half the sauce over while cooking the loaf and served the remaining sauce on the side when sliced and put on plates. I couldn't get sausage meat here in town so just squeezed the meat out of some sausages and thi worked fine. I served it hot with vegetables and tonight I will serve the remainder cold with salad. Thanks for posting this great meatloaf....a keeper for sure for us :)
My mother had been making this for years. It's the only meatloaf I will eat and now the only one my kids will eat. Followed the recipe exactly and turned out perfectly. Thanks for posting Kiwipom.