Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty and satisfying meal. You won't miss the meat. It's low cal, low fat, low sodium and full of fiber.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 1⁄3 cups chopped carrots
- 1 (46 ounce) can reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini, drained (white kidney beans)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 4 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked small elbow macaroni, cooked without added fat and well drained (4 oz)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or stockpot.
- Add celery, onion and garlic.
- Cook and stir until crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, cabbage and carrots.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato juice, beans, parsley, oregano, basil, pepper and salt.
- Simmer until beans are heated.
- Stir in cooked macaroni just before serving.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan.
This is a hearty soup that is simple to make. Although it is very easy to make I think the prep time as indicated in the recipe is low. I also thought it would be helpful if approximate cooking times were indicated in the recipe directions. It took me about one hour but that included cutting up the vegetables. One change I made to the ingredients was I used low-sodium V-8 instead of tomato juice and I also used less oregano than the recipe indicated.
Kid and adult approved. Tastes rich. Liked that some of the veggies were soft and some crunchy. (I cooked the cabbage a little less than recommended.) One person suggested 1/4 tsp sugar to balance the acid. That could have to do with type of tomato juice I used. I agree that prep time should be longer, but you can do some prep while cooking. I used fresh basil and fresh tomatoes.
Mmmm....nice bowl of healthy yummy goodness. I did make changes, but I'm sure the original recipe is just as good. I used 2 cans of V-8, plus 1 can of chicken broth instead of tomato juice, added zucchini and mushrooms, and left out the cannellini beans and pasta. I'm looking forward to eating this for several days as it made a ton. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.