Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is unlike any other marzipan bar recipe I have seen. This was given to me by my sister many years ago and I get asked for this recipe all the time. It is very pretty to look at as well as tasting wonderful.
- 1 pastry dough, for an 8 x 8 pan
- raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup rice flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- red food coloring
- green food coloring (or other)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- Line 8 x 8 pan with pie pastry and cover the pastry with layer of raspberry jam.
- Blend butter and sugar thoroughly.
- Add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add rice flour and salt and beat well.
- Color 1/2 mixture a pale pink and other half green.
- Put spoonfuls of each mixture alternately on jam to cover.
- Bake in 350° oven for 35 minutes.
- Cool and ice with frosting.
My mother made this recipe for years and its always been a fav...when I moved to NYC I made it for my DH's co-workers and they swear that it's better than the rainbow Italian cookies in some of the bakeries here. Thanks I'll be making these every year.
This is THE recipe for marzipan bars - always a hit even with people who have never heard of them. Thanks for making it public.
So festive and delicious! Its my Christmas baking staple! Yummy!