Recipe by Bev
This is a recipe given to me years ago by my Mother-in-law. A very sweet, dense cake my husband grew up with and to this day still requests.
Top Review by Dan'l
This is perhaps one of the all-time greatest foods ever! It is exceptionally moist (almost wet) and packed with flavor! If anyone doesn't like this recipe I'll stand on my head naked in the middle of the interstate highway! Don't forget to have some ice cold milk with it (and a second piece)!
For the cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour, combined with the following
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup cooked prune, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup nuts
For the Icing
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon Karo light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- For the cake: Blend sugar, oil and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients altering with the milk.
- Add vanilla, nuts and prunes.
- Bake in a 13x9x2" pan at 300 degrees for 45-60 minutes.
- While hot and still in pan pour icing over the cake.
- For the icing: Mix all ingredients in saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and pour over cake.
- Use fork to pierce holes in cake to absorb icing.