Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This classic dessert from Austria is a baked meringue topped with fruit (strawberries) and whipped cream. NOT a diet-friendly dessert! :)
- 12 egg whites, room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 16 ounces strawberries, sliced fresh or frozen, thawed (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- Add all but cream of tartar to very large mixing bowl.
- Start beating on low speed, gradually increasing to high.
- Once egg whites begin to foam, add cream of tartar.
- Continue beating for 30 minutes (yes, 30 minutes!).
- Mixture should be snow-white and be able to hold peaks.
- Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Conventional Oven Method:.
- Preheat oven at 500 degrees F while mixture is beating (30 minutes).
- Place torte in oven and TURN OVEN OFF.
- Leave in overnight; torte will be done in the morning.
- Gas Oven Method:.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Place torte in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- When cooled store in fridge.
- Serve with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.