Grandma Char's Passover Sponge Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
My Grandma makes this recipe every year for Passover. She serves it with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 9 eggs, room temperature, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup matzo cake meal
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped nuts
- Place egg yolks in bowl of stand mixer. Beat for 10 minutes. Combine orange and lemon peel with sugar and add gradually to egg yolks. Beat for 6 more minutes.
- Sift dry ingredients. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Beginning and ending with flour, fold dry ingredients and egg whites alternately into egg yolk mixture. Mix nuts into last of flour before adding to cake.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Gently pour batter into 2 piece tube pan. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Increase temperature to 325 degrees and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Invert tube pan over long necked bottle and allow to cool completely. When cake has cooled, use long knife to loosen cake from pan sides, then separate two piece of pan and plate.
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream (optional).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION