Recipe by DJM
My favorite marinated shrimp. This recipe came from a Gourmet group Creole dinner in the mid-1970's. Must be prepared 12 hours ahead.
- 2 lbs whole uncooked shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup celery top, with leaves chopped coarsely
- 1⁄4 cup whole mixed pickling spice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 7 -8 bay leaves
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons caper with juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups salad oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cover shrimp with boiling water, add celery tops, pickling spices and the one tablespoon of salt.
- Simmer for two to three minutes or until done.
- Drain, cover with ice, clean and devein if needed.
- Alternate shrimp, onions and bay leaves in a shallow dish.
- Combine remaining ingredients and pour over shrimp.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
- Serve with crackers.