Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I found this in a Taste of Home Cooking For 2 magazine. It can easily be doubled if you need to serve more. The marinade is wonderful and really adds a punch to a plain Portobello buger. I have made these on a gas grill and on a Foreman grill and they were great both ways. This is also great with smoked Gouda cheese in place of the provolone. Prep time does not include the 15 minutes marinating time.
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano, minced
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed
- 2 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 2 slices tomatoes
- In a bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients.
- Add mushroom caps; let stand for 15 minutes, turning twice.
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray before starting the grill.
- Drain and reserve marinade.
- Grill mushrooms, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes on each side or until tender, basting with reserved marinade.
- Top with cheese during the last 2 minutes.
- Serve on buns with lettuce and tomato.