In 'How to Cook Everything Vegetarian' by Mark Bittman
Make and share this Marinated Garden Vegetables recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 sprigs fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced crosswise (or summer squash)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced
- 1 onion, cut into eighths
- 1⁄2 cup green olives (optional) or 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted (optional)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Put the vinegar, salt, oregano, bay leaves, garlic, olive oil, and 1 quart water in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower; cook for a minute, then add the zucchini, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and olives; cover and turn off the heat.
- Let cool to room temperature in the pot.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled, drizzled with some of the liquid and olive oil and sprinkled with lots of black pepper.
- Keep the mixture in its liquid in a covered plastic or glass container in the refrigerator for a month or more.
- You can serve with toothpicks, on top of greens or tossed with salads, on top of grilled vegetables, as a pickle alongside sandwiches.