Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This cake is lovely to serve at a dinner table. Make certain that the butter, eggs and sour cream are room temperature.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda (use a semi-heaping teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Set oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 12-cup bundt cake pan.
- In a bowl beat butter with 2 cups plus 2 tbsps sugar together until fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in eggs and vanilla; beat until well combined (about 4 minutes).
- Add in the sour cream; mix until combined.
- In a bowl mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add the creamed mixture; mix until just combined.
- Remove 2 cups of the batter; stir in the melted bittersweet chocolate.
- Add/stir in the dark chocolate chips into the white cake batter.
- Add/stir the white chocolate chips into the dark batter.
- Using heaping tablespoonfuls alternately dollup the different cake batters into the prepared bundt pan.
- Run a knife through the cake only once, swirling the batter a little.
- Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
- Cool cake in pan for about 15-20 minutes before removing to a rack.
:oops: used too small bundt pan and had volcanic overflow and ended up burnt around the edges, cut those off and iced using Extra Creamy Chocolate Icing - will see how DS's recreation group likes it. They loved it. For those that like weight measurements 1 cup of butter = 8oz, 2 cups + 2 T sugar = 1 lb 1 1/2oz, 1 cup of chocolate chips = 7oz. Thank you Kittencal for 2 wonderful recipes. Made for Recipe Swap #14 - March 2008.
Now this cake has a presence...it is so big and tall. What a cake, excellant flavour, chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate, great texture, soft and tender, yet crisp on the outside. We enjoyed this very much, thanks so much for sharing another great recipe Kitten.
Oh, Carol, another winner from you. I chose this cake for Pick a Chef '06 and I am so glad I did. The cake looks and tastes wonderful. I baked this exactly 1 hour and followed the recipe exactly as posted. Thanks for posting a recipe I will be preparing often.