Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
I DO love my maple and pumpkin together! The two flavors blend so well. The creamy orange color of this soup says "autumn", but good anytime of the year by substituting canned pumpkin!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 medium pie pumpkin, peeled and diced
- 3⁄4 cup marsala wine
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups chicken broth
- cinnamon, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup real maple syrup
- Heat oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often for 5 minutes.
- Add pumpkin and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and simmer until reduced by half.
- Add vegetable and chicken broth; cook until reduced by half.
- (At this point, pumpkin should be soft - if not, continue cooking until soft.).
- Puree soup in a food processor or blender.
- Return soup to pot.
- Season with cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir in cream and maple syrup.
- Reheat, if necessary, and serve.