1/3 Photos of Maple, Bacon and Orange Roasted Turkey Breast
2 hrs 10 mins
This recipe was a combination from several posts the last couple of weeks in Zaar regarding how to cook a turkey breast. Now, I have cooked many turkey breasts, but after reading some of the posts I thought I would try to come up with something new. So thanks to all the ideas. This was my end result which I made last week for my Dad and it was outstanding. Just a little different and the gravy is really great for this. For this one I made a cornbread stuffing with nuts, apples, dried cranberries which just seemed to go with the citrus flavor. Traditional potatoes and cranberry and the normal sides for us. But this was really a good way to make just a breast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 turkey breast, but use whatever you have (about 3 lbs)
- 1 orange, cut in thick slices
- 1 medium onion, cut in thick slices
- 8 slices hickory bacon (plain bacon would be just fine)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider (apple juice will work)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 whole sprigs rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Butter -- Mix the thyme with the butter and maple syrup, salt and pepper and set to the side.
- 2Orange and Onions -- Just set those on the bottom on a small roasting pan. I actually just used my 9x9 square baking pan, but a small roasting pan would or even your 13x9 will work. Depends on the size of your turkey. Smaller the better for me.
- 3Turkey -- Make sure to let your turkey set out 30 minutes to take the chill off while you heat up the oven to 400. Then rub the turkey well with you butter, maple, thyme, salt and pepper mix all over.
- 4Now just set your turkey on the orange and onions. They make a great natural rack for the turkey and will flavor the gravy.
- 5Bacon -- Just drape the bacon slices over the turkey, trying to cover as much as you can. a couple slices I cut in half to make sure everything was covered.
- 6Gravy -- Just add the chicken broth, or stock whatever you have, apple cider and orange juice to the bottom of the pan. Throw in the rosemary sprigs and bay leaf.
- 7Bake -- Just pop it in the oven and bake according to directions. Mine took about 2 hours. I baked mine 15 minutes at 400 and then reduced the temperature to 350 and cooked until the internal temp reached 160, removed and covered. By the time I served it was 165 and juicy.
- 8Gravy -- Transfer your baking dish to the stove on medium heat. Remove the onions and oranges and then add the white wine and cook just a minute. I make a slurry which is just corn starch and a little water and slowly add a little at a time to the warm gravy. Make sure the heat it on medium and only add a little and wait until the gravy thickens. Keep adding a little at a time until it gets to the thickness you like. Now I take a couple of the orange slizes, since they have cooled a bit and squeeze some of the juice in the gravy. This gives great flavor. Strain the gravy and serve. It is wonderful.
- 9Serve -- I remove the bacon and slice. I remove the bacon but keep a couple onion and orange slices from the gravy and of course add some fresh rosemary to let them know what the sauce was inches Well you know the rest. Stuffing, spuds, vegetables, cranberry. Anything you want. This is just a great moist turkey with a little flavor twist and it can be made for a nice weekend dinner. Mine served 4 people.
- 10Dessert - I caramelized some pears and apples in brown sugar, rum and pumpkin spice and then just serve over vanilla ice cream.
- 11. It will immediate thicken. Add on the st.
- 12Mixed the turkey with the butter maple syrup, salt and pepper and rubbed all over the breast. Sliced the orange and onion and put on a small 9x9 pan and set the breast on top of that. Add the broth, cider, orange juice and rosemary and then draped the bacon over the breast. Baked 425 for 15, then down to 350 until 155 or 160 removed and covered with foil. Gravy, I removed the orange and onion and just added 1/4 cup white wine and thickened with corn starch.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maple, Bacon and Orange Roasted Turkey Breast
Serving Size: 1 (495 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 646.1
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 210.0 mg
- Sodium 544.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 65.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: