Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe was featured on week 39 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Brunei is my 39th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. When I made this dessert I used long grain rice, which you can do if you want to serve it as a side dish. For a dessert, though, you really need to use sushi rice.
- 2⁄3 cup rice (sushi rice works best)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut cream, divided
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ripe mangoes
- Rinse the rice and drain. Put in a saucepan with the water, salt and 1/2 cup of coconut cream. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Now mix the rest of the coconut cream with the sugar and a dash of salt. Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for two or three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Peel and slice the mangoes and cover with the rice. Spoon the sauce over and serve.