Recipe by English_Rose
For a tasty starter try this Mediterranean-inspired recipe for pan-fried cheese with a tomato sauce.
- 9 ounces manchego cheese, cut into fingers
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 7 ounces fresh breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
For the spicy pisto
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 red ripe tomatoes, chopped
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 10 -12 olives, stoned
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the spicy pisto. Heat the olive oil in a wok, add in the onion and garlic and fry gently, stirring often, until soft, around 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, red pepper, and chorizo and fry, stirring now and then, for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground pepper and mix in the parsley, basil and the olives.
- Coat the manchego cheese in the beaten egg, then the flour and then the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add in the coated manchego and fry gently until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Serve with the pisto.