Mama made these for decades when she was a working mother (back in the day when most mamas didn't work). These are EASY, so moist, and so good. And because you make up a big batch and they can be kept in the refrigerator and made just a few at a time, they are a life saver for busy cooks because they can be made ahead and baked as needed. I make up a batch and my kids can scoop one or two into a tin and pop it in the oven in the morning for their own hot and hearty breakfast.
My Private Note
small m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In medium bowl pour boiling water over bran buds and let stand.
- 2In a very large bowl (I use a large Tupperware bowl that has a lid) cream together shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add buttermilk.
- 3Add water/bran mixture to the creamed items.
- 4Add flour, baking soda, salt, raisins, and shredded bran.
- 5Stir until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX and DON'T STIR AGAIN.
- 6Let sit in refrigerator at least 4-6 hours before cooking. This batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks (although I must admit I've never had it longer than a couple of weeks).
- 7Don't stir the batter again, just scoop it out to the muffin tin. If not using cupcake liners, grease and flour muffin tin for easy removal. Fill to about 2/3 full. Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes for regular size muffins or until a toothpick comes out clean. For large muffins (that's what we usually make) bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mama's Refrigerator Bran Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (48 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 72
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 125.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.5 mg
- Sodium 151.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
shredded bran cereal