Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mama made these for decades when she was a working mother (back in the day when most mamas didn't work). These are EASY, so moist, and so good. And because you make up a big batch and they can be kept in the refrigerator and made just a few at a time, they are a life saver for busy cooks because they can be made ahead and baked as needed. I make up a batch and my kids can scoop one or two into a tin and pop it in the oven in the morning for their own hot and hearty breakfast.
- In medium bowl pour boiling water over bran buds and let stand.
- In a very large bowl (I use a large Tupperware bowl that has a lid) cream together shortening, sugar, and eggs. Add buttermilk.
- Add water/bran mixture to the creamed items.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, raisins, and shredded bran.
- Stir until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX and DON'T STIR AGAIN.
- Let sit in refrigerator at least 4-6 hours before cooking. This batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks (although I must admit I've never had it longer than a couple of weeks).
- Don't stir the batter again, just scoop it out to the muffin tin. If not using cupcake liners, grease and flour muffin tin for easy removal. Fill to about 2/3 full. Bake at 400 F for 15-20 minutes for regular size muffins or until a toothpick comes out clean. For large muffins (that's what we usually make) bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.