Recipe by spicyperspective
A vivacious south Indian favorite with tropical flair, that seamlessly marries robust earthy flavors, heat and acidity with the rich cooling effect of coconut. Trust me, this recipe is a keeper!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 12 -15 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 2 dried cayenne, chiles
- 4 cups chopped red onions (2 large onions)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro (leaves and or or stems)
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour ½ cup oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, and red chiles.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add the ginger and onions. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the onions to brown until they are dark and soft enough the smash with a spatula—about 25-30 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, coriander, turmeric, and cilantro—mix together.
- Raise the heat back to medium and add the tomatoes, salt, and lime juice. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have disintegrated and the oil separates out—15-20 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of water and 1 cup coconut milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat.
- In a separate skillet, heat 1 Tb. of oil over high. Add the chicken to the skillet and brown on all sides, leaving the centers pink—2-4 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the curry and simmer 5-7 minutes until the chicken has cooked through. Serve over basmati rice.
- Cook's Notes: I went to a small foreign market to collect some of the unique ingredients for this recipe. There, I had no trouble finding everything on my list. Extra curry leaves can be wrapped and frozen for later use. This is a GREAT make-ahead! Letting the curry sit overnight enhances the flavors!