Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a traditional recipe from Finland.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground chicken or 1 1⁄2 lbs ground turkey
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cups cooked elbow macaroni or 2 cups cooked ziti
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook meat and onion until meat is brown and onion is translucent.
- Using either a spray or butter, coat a baking dish and set aside. In a large bowl, mix the milk, eggs, 1/2 cup cheese, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the noodles and meat and pour into the baking dish. Add the egg/milk mixture over the meat/noodles mixture and then layer the remaining cheese on top.
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes, until the cheese on top is golden brown and the casserole is heated through. Garnish each serving with a dollop of ketchup on top.