My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fry salt pork to render all fat in a heavy kettle and then remove.
- 2Add potatoes, onions, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 3Cover with hot water and cook over medium heat, covered, 15 minutes, until potatoes are just tender.
- 4Do not overcook.
- 5Meanwhile, cut fish into large chunks and put into another saucepan.
- 6Add boiling water to cover and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- 7Cook slowly, covered, until fish is fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Strain and reserve liquid.
- 10Remove any bones from fish.
- 11Add fish and strained liquid to potato-onion mixture.
- 12Pour in milk and leave on stove long enough to heat through, about 5 minutes.
- 13Mix in butter and pepper.
- 14Serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Maine Fish Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 466.6
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 152.1 mg
- Sodium 1582.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 43.3 g