Recipe by Ridgely
This recipe is originally from Zingerman's in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It has an extra fudgy flavor and gooey texture.
Top Review by Scarlett516
These tasted really good! I left out the nuts. The temperature and time didn't work out for me. I ended up having to bake for about 40-45 min to have them be fully cooked. Most brownie recipes I've made have used a higher heat, so I may try that next time since this left the edges a bit burnt in order for the middle to cook enough.
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 6 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour or 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted*
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 13 x 9 baking pan; set aside.
- In a heavy small saucepan, heat the butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer on high speed for 5 minutes, or until lemon colored and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined.
- Add four mixture. Beat on low speed until combined,scraping sides of bowl. Stir in walnuts*.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake in 325 oven for 30 minutes or until brownies are set.
- Cool in pan on wire rack. Makes 15 brownies.
- *I substituted 1 cup chocolate chips.