Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Always extremely popular with young and old alike.
Make and share this M&M Rice Krispies Treats recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 (10 ounce) package marshmallows
- 6 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 (12 ounce) bag M&M's (regular or mini)
- Measure out cereal into a large bowl and set aside. Coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray or butter and set aside.
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Stir in vanilla. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal. Stir until well coated. Let cool for several minutes. Stir in M&M's, very gently! They will have a tendency to melt. Pour them over the mixture as spread out as possible so you don't have to stir much.
- Using wax paper press mixture evenly into prepared pan. Let cool for 15 minutes or until set.
Followed the directions exactly. waited only a few minutes and the M&M's melted and looked terrible.
Great recipe! The vanilla makes ALL the difference to the taste! The Rice Krispies recipe (on the box) never contained this ingredient--big mistake!. And, no joke about waiting a few minutes to stir in the M&Ms. They do melt. I found that I didn't need or want all the M&Ms called for, so no problem if you have fewer than you need.<br/><br/>I double this batch, and make half plain (no M&Ms) and the other half with the M&Ms. By the time you get the plain batch pressed into the pan (and do spray a little PAM on the waxed paper before using it to press the mixture into the pan), the rest is cooled down just enough to put in the M&Ms without melting them all.<br/><br/>I also save about 1/4 cup of M&Ms to press lightly into the top of the batch once the mixture is in the pan. This makes it look that much more festive!<br/><br/>Also, be sure to use those pretty pastel M&Ms in the springtime! ; )