Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my favorite vegetable beef soup recipe. It can be thickened to a stew and stores well. Its even better the second day. I leave out the extra salt but you can season to your taste.
- 1 lb stew meat, cut into smaller chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into large chunks
- 3 -4 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup sliced carrot
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 (16 ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, diced fine
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Sauté garlic in oil in large skillet.
- Cut meat into smaller chunks and brown meat in skillet; remove meat.
- Put meat, onion, carrots, stewed tomatoes, celery, potatoes into 4 quart dutch oven with 2 cups water; set aside.
- Make gravy: On med-low heat add flour to skillet and stir to brown flour but don’t burn it. Add beef broth and stir to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- Pour gravy into dutch oven. Bring to boil and then reduce heat and simmer covered till vegetables are done, 30-45 minutes typically. Remove lid and simmer 10-15 minutes if needed to thicken stew.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.