Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 14 mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef eye round
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (13 3/4 ounce) can ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- 3 cloves large garlic, crushed
- 5 1⁄2 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup frozen whole pearl onion
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
- Trim fat from beef, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high hunt until hot. Add beef (half at a time) and brown evenly, stirring occasionally.
- Pour off drippings.
- Season with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Stir in broth, wine and garlic. Bring to boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover tightly and simmer 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots and onions.
- Cover and continue cooking 35 to 40 minutes or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- Bring beef stew to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in sugar snap peas.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until peas are heated through.
A very good beef stew recipe! I used a regular sweet onion, diced, and 2 regular-sized carrots; no snap peas. I browned the meat in bacon fat instead of vegetable oil (since some beef stew recipes have bacon in them, I thought it would be good for the flavor) and it was very tasty! This will be my new standard recipe for beef stew!
made this in my slow cooker....delicious!
This was an easy, tasty, and healthy stew. I used regular stew meat and yellow onions with carrots, celery, new potatoes, and parsnip as well as a few extra seasonings, including a pinch of powdered cayenne pepper and a 1/2 t. of sugar. The thickened gravy was especially good.