Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Low Country Shrimp Burger Outside of Beaufort, SC on St. Helena Island there is a restaurant that makes the best shrimp burgers. They will not give out the recipe, so this is my first attempt to figure out this wonderful southern delicacy.
- 1 lb fresh shrimp (best if caught that day off the coast of South Carolina)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (In South Carolina we like Duke's or Hellman's)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup cornbread breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1. Boil, peel and then chop the shrimp.
- 2. In large bowl mix shrimp with chives, celery, parsley and lemon zest.
- 3. In smaller bowl mix mayonnaise with egg, salt and pepper to taste and tabasco sauce.
- 4. Blend well and then add cornbread crumbs.
- 5. Pour mayonnaise mixture into chopped shrimp and mix well.
- 6. Shape into burger size patties and saute in oil until browned on both sides.
- 7. Place on paper towels to drain.
- 8. Serve on hamburger buns with tartar sauce.
- 9. Or serve on hamburger buns with lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce.
- 10. Or serve on hamburger buns with cole slaw.