Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you are watching your carbs, and crave pizza, this is the recipe for you! Be creative, and try your favorite combination of toppings! You could modify this to serve as an appetizer, using mini-mushroom caps, or try it grilled!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 portabella mushroom caps, wiped with a damp cloth
- 1⁄2 cup low-sugar pizza sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 Italian sausages, browned
- 8 pepperoni slices
- 1⁄4 cup shredded low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a jelly roll pan, spray two circles, about 3 inches in diameter, and place mushroom caps on top of the circles, stem side up.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce into each cup (use more or less as you desire).
- In a small bowl, blend together the cream cheese and parmesan. Add seasoning and mozzarella cheese. Stir to combine.
- Carefully stuff each cup with half of the cheese mixture.
- Place 4 pepperoni slices on each cup, on top of the cheese.
- Spoon italian sausage on top of the pepperoni.
- Top with additional mozzarella cheese.
- Carefully press down on each "pizza" to secure the toppings.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for approximately 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has melted and is lightly browned.
This is a tasty treat. I think my mushrooms must have been smaller than yours because my topping ran out over the top. I would cut the parmesan as it was a bit salty for me. I don't eat processed meat so I subbed onions which were good. However, if I had had some bacon on hand I would have added some of that as well. One of my favorite treats is a portabella mushroom burger so I placed half of my mushroom pizza into a toasted bun and voila, so so good!! (so much for the low carb) Thanks for sharing your recipe and bringing something different into my kitchen. Made for PAC Orphanage Spring 2008.
Best low carb recipe I've tried. Thank you!
Excellent! I didn't have cream cheese, but sustituted sour cream with beautiful results. I made them for both lunch & dinner today! Thanks for sharing!