Recipe by One Happy Woman
This is adapted from a frozen meatball package recipe - I've left out the pasta and added black soy beans in its place. I also use a low-carb frozen meatball that's light on the 'filler': approximately 3 carbs per 6-meatball serving.
- 32 frozen store-bought or homemade meatballs (I use 'Rosina's' Italian-style')
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3 medium zucchini
- 2 cups chopped raw eggplants
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning mix
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can black soybeans
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the vegetables.
- Defrost the meatballs in the microwave according to directions, which helps remove some of the fat. If you want to skip this step, just drop the meatballs into the simmering soup.
- Saute the onion, celery, zucchini, pepper, and eggplant in the oil.
- Add all of the rest of the ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft (and meatballs are heated through.)
- erve with grated parmesan cheese.