Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
Right out of Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Make and share this Louisiana Fried Meat Pies With Cajun Tartar Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4.92 ml vegetable oil
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 226.79 g ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 118.29 ml chopped bell pepper
- 118.29 ml chopped celery
- 7.39 ml salt
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 29.58 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml flour
- 236.59 ml water
- 59.14 ml green onion, sliced thin
For the pastry
- 709.77 ml flour
- 7.39 ml salt
- 3.69 ml baking powder
- 88.74 ml shortening
- 1 egg
- 177.44 ml milk
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Cajun Tartar Sauce
- 1 large egg
- 14.79 ml minced garlic
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 29.58 ml chopped green onions
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 118.29 ml olive oil
- 1.23 ml cayenne
- 14.79 ml creole mustard
- 4.92 ml salt
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon oil and cook beef and pork, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted, about 10 to 12 minutres. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the meat mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add green onions. Mix well and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, working it to make a thick dough.
- Pinch off a medium size ball of dough. Roll out ball of dough on lightly floured surface until you get approximately 5 inch cirlce. Place about 1/4 cup of meat filling in the center of each round and brush edges lightly with egg wash. Fold edges together and crimp closed with a fork.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or electric deep-fryer to 360 degrees. Fry the pies, in batches, until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- Instructions for Cajun Tartar Sauce:.
- Place the egg, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and green onions in a food processor and process for about 15 seconds until pureed. With the processor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. Add the cayenne, mustard and salt.
This recipe was great! Had to leave the celery out because I am allergic to the stuff. I recommend using corn oil for the vegetable oil ( I am allergic to soy as well so soybean oil is contraband in my household). Corn oil seems to add flavor, to me anyways.
I made this recipe for my in-laws who are from Louisiana & they absolutely loved them. I did a few things different such as I didn't fry them I used a pre made refrigerated pie crust & baked them. I also used 3/4 tsp of cayenne pepper instead of the 1/4 tsp and I also let everything just cook down alot longer than the recipe called for. Over all this is the best one so far & give it a A ! Enjoy we did!!!
I am in the process of making this right now!! I too added additional cayenne pepper and salt. I also added about 1/4 tsp beef base mixed in 1/4 cup water and it settled in very nicely! If I can stop eating the beef mixture, maybe my husband will be able to try it! I did not add the flour because we aren't much of "gravy" people. My husband grew up in Trinidad and Tobago and seems to prefer drier meats. Thanks!