Right out of Natchitoches, Louisiana.
Make and share this Louisiana Fried Meat Pies With Cajun Tartar Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced thin
For the pastry
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- egg wash (1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
Cajun Tartar Sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon creole mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet heat 1 teaspoon oil and cook beef and pork, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add onions, bell peppers, celery, salt, cayenne and black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted, about 10 to 12 minutres. Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the meat mixture. Stir until the mixture thickens slightly, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add green onions. Mix well and let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk. Gradually add the egg mixture to the flour mixture, working it to make a thick dough.
- Pinch off a medium size ball of dough. Roll out ball of dough on lightly floured surface until you get approximately 5 inch cirlce. Place about 1/4 cup of meat filling in the center of each round and brush edges lightly with egg wash. Fold edges together and crimp closed with a fork.
- Heat oil in a deep pot or electric deep-fryer to 360 degrees. Fry the pies, in batches, until golden. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.
- Instructions for Cajun Tartar Sauce:.
- Place the egg, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and green onions in a food processor and process for about 15 seconds until pureed. With the processor running, pour the oil through the feed tube in a steady stream. Add the cayenne, mustard and salt.