Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 15 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 egg whites
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST
- 18 graham cracker squares
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 lb butter or 1⁄4 lb margarine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Thoroughly mix crust ingredients and pack into a nine inch pie pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes and put aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and egg yolks.
- Stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour into cooled crust.
- Add cream of tartar to the egg whites and beat until almost stiff.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until stiff and glossy but not dry.
- Pile lightly on pie filling.
- Bake at 325 until lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly.
- Hint: try to get the crust thickness very even and not too thick.
I make a lemon pie just like this and we absolutely love it.
My grandsons loved this recipe! Try brushing the crust with beaten egg white a few times before filling-you'll really notice the difference later in the day-the crust will not get soggy.
YUM YUM!!! This Lemon pie is wonderful!!! I love lemon pie,but I don't like it to be sour lemon pie.. ...and this was good and sweet,I think the sweetened condensed milk makes this pie what it is. I have got to make this again really soon! Thanks,Darlene