1/1 Photo of Liver and Onion Tart
Offal Chef's Note:
I've always loved liver and onions so I often find ways to make it in different formats. This could also be called a liver and onion quiche.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First get the oven on at 350°.
- 2Decide what flan/tart dish you want to use and roll out your pastry accordingly, cover the dish and work into the corners cut off the excess and blind bake for about 12-15 minutes - just until the pastry is no longer raw.
- 3In the meantime flash fry the liver after you've cut the liver into small pieces (I also like to soak the liver in some milk before and then drain and sift in some flour seasoned with some fresh black pepper and salt) - the liver should be just lightly seared.
- 4Once the liver has been seared set aside and cover - by the way I like to use half butter and half olive oil but the oil is whatever you prefer to use.
- 5Toss the onion in a bowl with a little oil and salt and pepper to break up the onion and coat it - this makes the onion frying process quicker.
- 6Fry the onion until just brown - not burnt - then set aside on some kitchen paper.
- 7In a bowl whisk the eggs and add the milk enough to make a quiche/custard mixture season with salt and pepper.
- 8Pastry should be done - take it out of the oven and turn the oven up to 375°.
- 9Some like to let the pastry cool but I find it makes little difference.
- 10Add the liver to evenly distribute around the flan.
- 11Do the same with the onion.
- 12Add the egg and milk mixture but don't overfill.
- 13Bake in the oven for 25 - 35 minutes depending on your oven - the mixture should not move when you jiggle the flan.
- 14When done - take out and either serve straight away or cool and serve cold - I enjoy both.
- 15If you need to serve it with a sauce or something I think a Cumberland sauce would work well.
- 16Goes well with some nice red wine.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Liver and Onion Tart
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 502.8
- Calories from Fat 224
- Total Fat 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 491.0 mg
- Sodium 419.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 34.6 g