Cream Cheese, Onion & Bacon Tart (France Does Pizza!)
photo by French Tart
- Ready In:
- 250 g bread dough
- 1 kg cream cheese (may use ricotta)
- 3 1⁄8 cups creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 300 g bacon (diced)
- 4 onions (med-size, chopped)
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 475F (220C). Roll out dough as thinly as possible & use it to line a lrg oblong cookie sheet (16 x 12 in).
- Prick the dough base w/the tines of a fork to within 1/2-in of the edges & bake blind for 10 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes. DO NOT turn off the oven.
- Combine cream cheese (or ricotta if using) w/the creme fraiche, flour, salt & oil to form a thick paste & spread it over the dough.
- Crisp bacon in a lrg frying pan, remove w/a slotted spoon & set aside, reserving 2 tbsp of bacon fat & discarding any excess. Peel & chop onions & brown them in the reserved bacon fat.
- Scatter bacon & onions over the cheese topping. Season w/pepper to taste pref. Return to the oven, cook for 2 min & serve immediately.
- NOTE: Feel free to use a pizza pan if you have 1 equivalent in size (192 sq in).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great recipe thanks MP! I know this as a Flammiche, and I LOVE it! I had to half the recipe for just the two of us - and I also made a thin crust as we prefer it that way. I used cream cheese - but not as much as specified, as the creme fraiche was creamy enough, and I also used smoked lardons for the bacon. We had this for supper last night with some wine and a fresh salad. Made for photo tag and VERY much enjoyed thanks Twissis! FT :-)
Loved this! made as directed, other than using pre-made pizza bases and omitting the salt - I thought there would be plenty from the bacon, for our taste. Oh, I did also put a tblsp of chilli paste into the creme fraiche mixture, tiny bit of a kick. I found this delicious and will happily make it again, my husband was a little less keen, but I think he thought Pizza and it wasnt what he expected. Great recipe, Twiss, thanks for sharing!
This is delicious!!! I knew I was going to love this tart!! I made a very scaled back recipe, using pre-made pizza dough from our local grocery bakery, cooked it on a stone and just eyeballed the amounts of flour, oil and salt to add to the cream cheese and cream fraiche mixture. I just loved the combination of bacon, onion and the creamy cheese layer, so good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for "For your Consideration" tag game.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am an American transplanted from Dallas to Iceland by marriage to a native Icelander & I retired to become his "Kitchen Queen". We love to entertain our family & friends, so I have an eclectic collection of recipes. I especially love simple, easy-fix, flexible & make-ahead recipes - BUT also like challenging myself on occasion. I enjoy baking & food photography. I am devoted to the "More is Always Better Principle" & apply it liberally to bacon, butter & garlic. I can have ingredient issues due to availability here in Iceland & my DH is medically diet-restricted from some ingredients as well. Either situation might require me to modify a recipe, but I will do my best to be true to your recipes & fair/honest in my reviews. Mary Pat (aka twissis)