Recipe by Dave Salch
This is a creation for my 4 year old boy, Hunter, inspired by his favorite TV show, "Little Bear". You could use any fish in this recipe, but catfish seems to have the best texture when cooked and holds together better than more flaky fish. It may seem like a lot of work, but really does go together easily and even the kids like it! Its a bit of a cross between a soup, a stew, and a gumbo, with a slight tomato base and a bit of spice. The measurements are not very exact, just do what seems right and adjust to taste.
Top Review by Jmsblond007
Very good... I changed it a little didn't measure everything but it turned out great my husband has had jambalaya in red lobster and a few other places but definitely perfers this one!! Thank you!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons parsley
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb frozen mixed seafood
- 1 lb raw peeled small shrimp
- 1 lb catfish nuggets
- 1 lemon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato soup
- 2 (14 ounce) cans okra
- 3 tablespoons gumbo file
Directions See How It's Made
- saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until onion is almost tender.
- Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning and stir constantly for about 30 seconds.
- Add in chicken stock, red wine vinegar, oregano, parsley, and Tabasco. bring to almost boiling over medium heat.
- While this is heating, lay out frozen seafood mix, shrimp, and catfish on a cutting board. Sprinkle with the juice from one lemon. Then sprinkle with remaining one tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning and black pepper. Let this stand while mixture is heating.
- When liquid is almost boiling add in the seafood mix, rice, tomato soup, canned tomatoes and okra. Be sure to add all liquid from both the tomatoes and okra. Lastly, add in the gumbo filé.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.