Recipe by Chef Ronald R.
Quick delicious Mexican Meal.
Top Review by Laineybo
This dish deserves a better name! It is a great all-around dish: economical, easy to prepare, makes a lot of servings and, best of all, tastes wonderful. This recipe and a recipe from Melissa d'Arabian are my favorite recipes from the internet. So give it the respect it deserves....a name that reflects its rock star status in the homecooking world!
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 1⁄2 lbs pork roast, cubed
- 8 chicken bouillon cubes
- 10 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- 8 tablespoons corn oil, for frying meat and veggies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 4 corn tortillas, cut in thin strips
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water (for cooking rice)
- 8 cups water, for stock
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 cups of water to a simmer and add 2 cups of rice. Simmer covered on low for 25 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand covered.
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder,sugar,garlic powder, onion and chili flakes and set aside.
- Cube meat and dice bell pepper and onion. In a larger stock pot, (at least 8 quart), sauté the onion and bell pepper for approximately 10 minutes stirring occasionally in order to keep from burning.
- Remove bell pepper and onion and add half the meat and sauté until browned. Remove and add the rest of the meat and sauté.
- Add 8 cups of water to the stock pot and bring to a simmer.
- Add all ingredients including tortilla strips (except rice) and simmer for 20 minutes. Thickness should be like a medium gravy.
- Add rice and stir.
- Pour over warmed tortillas and serve.