Recipe by Miss Annie
From Vegetarian Times, here is a new take on the classic Alfredo Sauce with 3 different kinds of mushrooms which makes a light but appetizing sauce. Proof that an appetizing sauce does not have to be a "heart attack on a plate". For a low sodium version, add the juice of 1 lemon to the sauce a few minutes before serving, and omit the salt.
Top Review by Karen O'Connell
This was a great recipe. I would suggest only 1 - 1 1/2 cups of skim milk though (as ours was a little much). Also, I added some bay scallops with the mushrooms and it was delicious! Easy and quick to make!
- 8 ounces linguine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 6 -8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook linguine in 3 qts.
- boiling water until al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- In another large saucepan, heat the oil and wine over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms and garlic, and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in the milk, parsley, mustard, thyme, pepper, and salt; bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth.
- Stir into the mushroom sauce and return to a gentle simmer.
- Fold in the cooked linguine.
- Cook for about 1 minute more over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Transfer to warm serving plates and serve immediately.