Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is, by far, one of the best "light" recipes I have come across in all the years I have been cooking....I found this way back in the "80's and am still using this favorite. This extremely versatile recipe is on my "go to list" when I need something fast, easy and tasty! I make sure that I am always stocked with clams in the cupboard and cream cheese in my fridge/freezer. This recipe is also handy for cleaning out all those little "its and bits" of vegetables. Don't use too much mushrooms or it will give a "grey" appearance to the dish
- 2 -5 ounces baby clams, drained reserving the juice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes (or as hot as you like)
- 1 zucchini, roughly chopped (asparagus, snap peas, green beans)
- 1 red pepper, roughly chopped
- 6 large mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 125 g light cream cheese, cubed (8 poz)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 lb linguine
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, cook the linguine, reserving some of the pasta water.
- Drain the clams, reserving the liquid. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the onion, thyme, hot pepper flakes in 1/3 cup of the clam liquid over medium heat for about 3 - 5 minutes or until onion is cooked.
- Add the other vegetables and cook until tender crisp. Add more clam liquid if necessary. Stir in cream cheese and melt.
- Just before serving, add the clams, salt and pepper.
- Combine the pasta, the clam sauce and the parmesan cheese. Add more clam liquid or pasta water if necessary.