Top Review by Margie99
This was really good. I used jarred salsa which I can usually buy really cheaply so I am always looking for ways to use it. I love that its pureed. I can't wait to try it again with fresh lime juice.
- 3 large tomatoes, cored and seeded
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, fresh
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tortillas
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 400 g chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- grated dry mexican cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tortillas into chips size strips. Heat oil in skillet until very hot but NOT smoking. Quickly fry the strips in batches until they are crisp, 1-2 min per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Fry the chicken breast on a pan until done (i like to pour some lime juice over chicken 1 min before removing from pan - it adds a nice fresh flavour to the chicken). Shred chicken as finely as your time allows. The finer the more the chicken flavour will mix with the soup.
- Make the salsa (tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, lime salt).
- Put the salsa and chicken broth in a large sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 15 minute.
- Puree the soup with hand mixer or in blender.
- Add lime and salt to taste.
- Place tortilla chips and chicken in bowls, pour soup and garnish with shredded mexican cheese or other dry cheese.
- Tip 1 - if you know that you will be making the salsa for the soup only, there will be no need to finely chop any ingredients as it will be blended anyway.
- Tip 2 - I add more garlic and make the soup quite spicy.
- Tip 3 - the tortilla chips can be omitted.
- Tip 4 - I have also used canned diced tomatoes, drained well, instead of fresh tomatoes with good results.